"Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face." 1 Corinthians 13:12

Saturday, January 19, 2008

Heaven, a Taste of

I didn't post last week because our family was away for our annual retreat. Three generations gather to spend five days skiing and enjoying each other's company. Our main purpose is to praise and thank God for making us a family. The Lord was particularly close and loving this year. I'm not sure I can explain the power that was around me, but let me try.

It was Wednesday when Curt and I went to the top. We had two days of skiing under our belts to warm us up and whet our appetites. We got off the lift and headed toward the southwest. We paused to take in the view. the morning sun was glowing behind a light cloud cover creating an ethereal feeling. The sunrise rose color was diffused across the whole horizon. Even the layers of mist rising from the rows of valleys had a pink sheen. It was spectacular.

We drank in all we could and headed down the frozen mountain face. I quickly fell into my skiing rhythm. It's something the Lord built into me many years ago and it never ceases to amaze me when it returns. Left, right, up, down, balance, turn, accelerate. The wind flew by and suddenly there was only me and God.

I began praising Him for giving me the run. I thanked Him for the excellent snow surface and the sun that made the contours visible. I thanked Him for the ability to point my skis downhill and stay upright. Oooh, it felt so good. Then I noticed that I didn't have any pain anywhere. My body was flowing over the snow more like I was 20 than 60. I thanked God for His amazing grace.

All of this and much more praise flowed from my heart as I cut my path down the trail. I realized that nothing I had done or ever could do would qualify me for this kind of gift from the God of all creation. The exhilaration was almost overwhelming. Then it dawned on me that the blessing was much more than physical. The usual cares and concerns of my life hadn't been plaguing me. It was as if they ceased to exist.

Tears started to flow behind my goggles - from the joy not the cold. The love that God was pouring down on me was more than I could process. I knew it was real and specifically for me. When God gives a gift, He gives it full-blown and complete. Hallelujah, I thought, I'm in heaven.

There is no pain in heaven, no troubles or trials, no suffering or difficulties of any kind. It must feel just like this, communing with God with no distractions. The last section of the run was just as smooth as the first, continuing the conviction that I was enjoying the inner courts of my Father's house. At the bottom, I paused to get into the lift line and my right knee began to grumble at me." Hm, maybe it was just a taste after all. :-)

*Read the earlier postings about the Parable of the Knee to grasp this observation.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's amazing how in the midst of the storms of life God comforts us, isn't it?

I wondered how your knee was going to hold up with all that skiing. :)
Thank you Lord for overseeing all the details!

Blessings

Susan Elizabeth said...

so glad you were able to enjoy this years skiing. What a joy!

The Boisverts said...

Hi there, Jenna's friend here. I just wanted to say how much I enjoyed and related to this post! I had a very similiar experience with the Lord as I skied down the slope a couple of weeks ago... it was night and the sky was filled to the brim with stars... I was so aware of His presence with me and was so blessed by such a beautiful and wonderful moment... I was gasping with joy and had my arms outstretched some of the way down. What a mighty and generous God we serve, who blesses us in ways unspeakable!!!!
So glad He gave you that moment!!!