"Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face." 1 Corinthians 13:12

Thursday, January 3, 2008

Follow the Leader

It was snowing outside and I was cozy by the wood stove doing a jigsaw puzzle. Curt decided it would be a good idea to try out our snowshoes on the lake. "After all," he said. "We haven't had the right conditions to use them for two years." Hmmmm.

Curt got the equipment out of the basement and made sure it was in order. He brought down his ski jacket and found hiking boots that would work for both of us. The man was serious! Then he
seemed to get settled back into watching the football game on TV so I carried on with my puzzle.

A little bit later I finished and pushed the table back. I was ready to go now, but Curt felt it was too late in the afternoon. The sun was going down and the snow was falling fast. I felt bad that I had been so absorbed in what I was doing. I apologized and Curt was gracious. I didn't want his hopes for the afternoon to be spoiled so I suggested that it might be wise to only go out for a short trip anyway since it was our first snowshoe experience. Thankfully Curt agreed.


We threw on our gear and headed out the front door. The snow was indeed falling fast. It was close to white out conditions. We tromped down the edge of the road and through the open lot next door. It was a bit of an effort to get out on the lake, but it wasn't hard to adjust to walking in snowshoes. It was actually pretty easy and comfortable going. It wasn't long before I was thanking the Lord for planning the day for me. I had to admit that if it weren't for Curt I wouldn't be out enjoying God's creation.


When we got further onto the lake it was like entering Narnia. The shoreline melted away in the falling flakes and the silence surrounded us. It was as if time had stopped and all the pressures and problems of the world with it. The release and euphoria were palpable. Believe it or not, we turned into young children playing in the snow for the first time. We laughed and joked as we made our way out to the middle of the lake. It was so strange to be standing where we float in summer. The scene was absolutely amazing. It felt totally otherworldly and we kept our eyes open for Mr. Tumnus.
:-)

I went along thinking about the feeling of the cushiony snow beneath my feet. I considered striking out for destinations unknown, maybe to another continent. I experimented with different strides and styles. Who knows, maybe I could perfect a revolutionary snowshoe technique. I reveled in the blanket of frozen precipitation that collected on my collar, wondering how deep it might get. I was enveloped in my own personal space, shielded from anything that might disturb my peace and thanking God for the sweet taste of life He was granting me.

After a bit Curt suggested we head for the home of a friend on the other side of the lake. I thought that was a great idea so we headed off. As I made my way along I noticed that he was veering off to my right. I checked my bearings and thought I was looking at the house he'd mentioned straight ahead. Our paths were diverging so I called out. Curt said he was just going along and, after checking the shoreline, redirected his steps toward the goal he'd set. It was good to feel useful. We trudged along side-by-side enjoying each other's company and resting in the solitude of the Lord.


Before we got too far into the cove, Curt suggested we head off to our left and circle back toward our side of the lake. He was concerned that we not overdo it on our first effort. I was comforted by his consideration as we made our way to the point at Turtle Cove. There were some snow mobile tracks along that stretch that disrupted the smooth surface. They caused our feet to track at funny angles, but they didn't slow our progress too much. Even the intervention of other people couldn't blot out the beauty the Lord was showing us.


We stopped for a brief rest and calm view of the far side of the lake. There was just enough light to create a mixture of shapes and shadows amidst the curtain of snow. For a minute I thought that if we'd stood still we might become statues like those given new life by Aslan. But Curt saved the day by starting off to blaze the trail that would take us back home.

We continued on in companionable quiet as I began to notice some tiredness creeping in on me. My knee didn't ache, but I remembered that I shouldn't over do it. The amazement at our surroundings was still a blessing, but making my way in it was becoming more of an effort. I was glad we were heading for the warmth of our hearth.


I thought about a variety of things I'd tried as we made our way around the lake. It was fun to cut my own swath full of the excitement of the trek and revel in the unobstructed view. It was invigorating to walk along beside Curt feeling that we were in this adventure together and sharing the various aspects of the journey. The togetherness made the whole experience deeper and richer for me. Now that my energy was flagging though I fell in behind Curt, relieved that he was there to lead the way.


I told myself that it made sense for Curt to be in the front anyway since he was the stronger one. God built his body taller and gave him longer legs that let him make better headway. Not only that, but Curt is more able to withstand the unpleasant parts of outdoor experiences. The wind and wet don't seem to affect him as much. He somehow managed to stay warm even though he was wearing a straw cowboy hat. I was really thankful that God had made Curt just the way he is.


I came to enjoy following along behind him more and more. When I was behind Curt the wind wasn't so forceful against my body. The snow didn't hit me directly in the face. Curt's footprints gave me a clear path to pursue. As a matter of fact, I noticed that it was easier to walk in the compacted snow than it was to step into and out of the freshly fallen stuff. I realized that I had a pretty good situation. I lifted my head and called out with abandon, "It sure is fun following you."
Curt stopped short and turned around with one of those knowing looks on his face.

Gulp, what did I just say? :-0

The truth of my words flowed over me. I could have cried at the significance of my casual but penetrating remark. I chose to laugh instead. "Oh, Honey, I can't believe I said that, but it's really true. I wish I remembered it more often. Please repeat those exact words to me whenever I need to be reminded."


And I pray he does.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Lord, help us be content to follow the authorities You've given us, and You first of all!

~jenna said...

good reminder mom!