"Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face." 1 Corinthians 13:12

Saturday, August 11, 2007

Parable of the Knee, Glimpse #1

It's been a busy and trying week, but here I am writing the post for my blog. That means I'm three for three so far. Hallelujah!

This time of reflecting is a grand opportunity to remember who God is and who I am before Him. I'm actually very thankful for the assignment. Sitting on the deck looking out, I'm tempted to think of myself as having matured past the stage of being a 2X4 Christian. You know, the kind of believer that God needs to hit with a 2X4 stick of wood to get their attention. I'm being convinced through this knee experience that I've only progressed to the 2X2 level. :-)

Don't get me wrong, I know that trials are one way that God uses to get our attention. That's why I took inventory before Him early in this saga and He seemed to be telling me to carry on. You see, one of the first things folks started saying when they noticed my limp was, "God must be telling you to slow down." The funny thing was that, although I know I need to watch my tendency toward activity, God didn't seem to be communicating that message to me. Rather, what He seemed to be telling me at the outset was that there were specific lessons for me to learn, but that quitting and sitting at home was not the way to learn them.

I'm thankful for the folks who care about me and ask how I'm doing. My favorite friends are those who ask what they can do to lighten my load or help me get something done and off my plate. The truth is that although I do have things that only I can accomplish, there are lots of ways other people could support me with my To Do List. I'm only too happy to offer suggestions when asked, however, what I've noticed is that those who offer "spiritual" advice often speak more quickly than those who offer practical assistance.

While pondering this interesting dynamic, a few thoughts come to mind.

  • God knows me perfectly, inside and out. Psalm 139
  • God has a wonderful plan for my life. Jeremiah 29:11
  • God's love for me is perfect and He will lead me rightly. I need to trust God with my whole heart, even more than myself. Proverbs 3:5,6
  • God doesn't just have an idea of what I need. God knows for sure and He wants me to have it.
  • God will take me wherever I need to go to get my needs met, according to His riches in glory. That's where I want to be so I need to be listening closely to His counsel.
Along this line, I had an amazing conversation with a friend's mother today. She said she and her husband had been praying about their daughter being baptized. She's a believer and they felt it was the next logical step, but they didn't want to pressure her into such an important step. They know that it's a personal decision and want her to make it for the right reasons. So they turned to the best possible strategy. They prayed! James 5:16b

The mom told me that she wanted to bring it up several times over the last couple of weeks, but she sensed the Holy Spirit telling her to be quiet. Hah, the Lord worked in my friend's heart and she spoke to the pastor herself. With prayers and not a single word, the Holy Spirit met the desire or her parents' hearts and moved this young lady in paths of obedience. My friend will be baptized tomorrow!

I've come to some conclusions for Glimpse #1:

If you have someone you're concerned about for any reason, pray for them and tell them how you feel.

Offer whatever you have at your disposal to help them meet the challenges they face.

If they give you suggestions about how you can help, undertake them with energy and enthusiasm.

If they decline your offer of assistance, let them know you'll be there if they change their mind.

Continue to pray, trusting God to care for them and lead them by the power of His Holy Spirit.

Amen. Emmanuel

2 comments:

~jenna said...

lots of things to apply to my everyday walk, thanks!!

Susan Elizabeth said...

My lesson learned (or to be learned!) in the trial of life, would be that I could continue to praise Him through it all.