"Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face." 1 Corinthians 13:12

Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Parable of the Knee, Introduction

God is an awesome God. He displays His infinite attributes all around us. We enjoy tastes of His majesty and creativity through the sunsets He delivers across our lake. Each one is an opportunity to rest, rejoice, and be overwhelmed by our Father God. These magnificent images never cease to draw me in this direction, yet God is also found in the more mundane details of life.

Jesus the Christ used the common things of this world to teach great truths about His and our Father. His parables are some of the most well-remembered and oft-repeated portions of the New Testament. When the Holy Spirit adds heavenly wisdom to simple objects, powerful lessons and divine insights pour forth. It is this type of in-depth view of God through the world around me that I want to pursue. I don't want to miss a single expression of my Father's love for me.

God is faithful and shows Himself to me in the big and little things of life. Sometimes He teaches me things in the oddest ways. Who would ever believe that a knee could speak volumes to a seeking soul? I would have scoffed at anyone who made such a statement as recently as six months ago. Now I know better. You see, last October while on vacation I twisted my knee while walking on a cobblestone street.

It wasn't such a bad sprain as sprains go. I could still get around and if nobody was looking let the grimaces show. By the time we got home I was able to move without any one being any the wiser - at least at first. Slowly I started to lose ground. The pain increased as did periods when I had to stay off my feet all together. By January I was in serious discomfort most of the time. Little did I know even then all that God would teach me through the intricate part of the body called the knee.

Over time I began to realize that the Holy Spirit was using the condition with my knee to draw my attention away from the activity around me - important as most of it was. As weeks and months have been unfolding, so have the lessons and insights He's been showing me. It's amazing what is often hiding just below the surface of what we see around us. Thankfully I've been making notes along the way.

My plan is to share my lessons with you at the rate of one a week, deo volente. I trust that those of you who are interested in my educational journey will ask the Lord to keep me faithful to that commitment. I look forward to spending some time with you opening up the awesomeness of God together. May He bless you richly!

3 comments:

~jenna said...

YEAH, for "broken" knees :)

Susan Elizabeth said...

....and sore backs, and high blood pressure...etc.


I am looking forward to a weekly post from you!

Anonymous said...

After leaving a comment last night, I really just got on the page to see the view of the lake again. What a surprise!

I can't wait to hear your lessons week by week! : )