"Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face." 1 Corinthians 13:12

Sunday, October 21, 2007

Interruption Glimpse

I've been content lately - not just happy on the surface, content deep down. I suppose there could be any number of reasons for it. After all, the hole in the roof got patched which means the damage to our bedroom ceiling won't get any worse. :-) Then again, maybe that's not the reason because now we have to get a new roof and replace the bedroom ceiling. :-( No matter what positive things happen in my life, there always seem to be a certain amount of negative things to balance them out. Life in this fallen world is like that. This time the Lord showed me the source of my contentment and that's made it all the sweeter and longer-lasting. Hallelujah!

I've been a Christian for a long time, almost 40 years. I've had my share of ups and downs in the spiritual department as well as the various other departments of my life. This "up phase" is centered fully on the Gospel of Jesus Christ - not simply the miracle of His virgin birth; nor the powerful testimony of His life; nor the truth of His substitutionary death, redeeming shed blood, and bodily resurrection; not even His current position as advocate to the Father and future role as judge of the world. These and countless other facts pour from the word of God to flood my brain and sustain my soul. I sit in the presence of my Heavenly Father seeking to know Him better through His reflection in His Son.

John 14:6 tells me that Jesus is the way, the truth and the life. The verses that follow help me to understand that by getting to know God the Son, I am also getting to know God the Father. In verse 10 Jesus asks, "Don't you believe that I am in the Father, and that the Father is in me?" He goes on to explain that the words He says are not just his own and that the Father is living in Him and doing His work. Hm. Remember Acts 17:28 tells us that we too "live and move and have our being [in God]." The very next verse reminds us that we are "God's offspring" and confirms the truth of Ephesians 3:6 where we are called heirs with Christ. My mind is racing.

Further on in John 14, at verse 11, Jesus repeats, "I am in the Father and the Father is in me." Two distinct persons yet "in" each other. I can neither fully comprehend nor appreciate the impact of the unity and diversity of the Godhead. Nevertheless, from time to time I am given a glimpse such as this that engages every aspect of my senses. Roof? What roof? I've written a few words, but I cannot begin to articulate the amazing awarenesses that are passing through my brain. I'm so wrapped up in the awesomeness of God that rooves, leaky or otherwise, are not even on my radar screen. Unpaid bills, hurtful comments, heavy responsibilities, unfinished projects, . . . no longer weigh on me. They simply fade into the background as I marvel at the infinite God who loves me.

The next step for me will be to try to figure out how to incorporate these truths into my daily life - to make them part of who I am and share them with others. At the moment, this is only a vague hope built on trust in my Father that He reveals these things to me for a purpose. I'm sure you can see how this process will be another episode of losing myself in His presence. :-) When He allows me to make more sense of them I will share with you here. In the meantime I can't help but feel that these glimpses are tiny tastes of heaven where we will live in God's presence, content for all eternity.

The real purpose of this glimpse though is a conversation I had with a dear friend last week. We were sharing about these times of deep contentment when we are swallowed up in who God is. She was having trouble dealing with some struggles and was wishing that she could live every moment in the serenity of the contentment described above. I encouraged her to remember that we live in a fallen world. I did my best to remind her that Jesus Himself struggled when He lived among us. John 11:35 was the one example I could offer at the time. This verse is known as the shortest verse in the Bible, "Jesus wept." I said that Jesus was obviously saddened and upset at the death of Lazarus. Then our conversation got interrupted and we had to say good-bye. My heart wouldn't settle on the topic. I have since done a brief study that I will share with her here. Please feel free to look over my/her shoulder.

My first stop is John 11:35, but I can never read just one verse. Reading through the context I notice that verse 33 says that Jesus was "deeply moved in spirit and troubled." Jesus is faced with the very real consequences of living in a world affected by Genesis 3 sin - death and separation. The Bible says that Jesus was troubled and wept.

In John 13 Jesus is with His disciples at the Passover meal in Jerusalem. He has washed His disciples' feet and encouraged them to do the same for one another. Then Jesus explained that one of the twelve would betray Him. Verse 21 tells us, "Jesus was troubled in spirit."

The word "troubled" isn't used in either the Mark or Luke account of Christ clearing the money changers out of the temple in Jerusalem. Nevertheless, I think it's fair to say that Jesus wasn't peacefully content at that moment. Jesus was affected by and reacting to the sin displayed in the outer courts.

Mark 14:33 tells us that Jesus was "deeply distressed and troubled" as he entered Gethsemane for prayer. Jesus told His disciples, "My soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death." As a matter of fact, Jesus was so upset that in verse 36 He called out, "Abba [Daddy], Father, everything is possible for you. Take this cup from me."

Finally, though the word "troubled" isn't used, can there be any doubt about the agony Jesus felt in Matthew 27:46 and Mark 15:34 when He called out to His Father from the cross, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?"

Thank you, Father, again for the truth and power, grace and peace we find in your Word.

God promises us over and over again that He will never leave us nor forsake us. We never have to face the trials and struggles, hurdles and heartaches of this fallen world alone.

Hebrews 4:15 is full of reassurance for those of us who find ourselves confronted by the difficulties of this life. "For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are - yet was without sin." Jesus was fully God and fully man. Jesus recognized the sin in our fallen world and He was affected by it just as we are - spiritually, emotionally, psychologically, physically. God tells us that Jesus was deeply moved, distressed and troubled at times. Jesus hurt and wept and cried out to His Father. Hallelujah, Jesus understands what we face!

Yet, Jesus was without sin. That means that realizing, feeling and admitting the impact of the sinfulness around us is not sin. Jesus is our perfect, sinless example so expressing our emotions is not sin. Jesus also did something about it whenever He could, in appropriate ways. The difference is that no matter what was happening, no matter how Jesus felt, no matter what His senses were telling Him, no matter what the cost, Jesus continued to love, trust and submit to the will of God His and our Father. The words recorded in Mark 14:36 as the closing words of Jesus' prayer in Gethsemane are "Yet not what I will, but what you will." Jesus' final act on the cross is expressed in Luke 23:46, "Father, into your hands I commit my spirit."

Listen, my Friend. Jesus walked this sinful earth and overcame every temptation. Jesus was perfectly faithful and now sits at God's right hand as our advocate. We are not perfect, but Jesus has made a way for us. Every moment cannot be spent in full contentment in this life. We can look forward to heaven for that joy. In the meantime, let us drink in the encouragement of Hebrews 4:16 and "approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace" so that no matter what the trials are, no matter how they affect us, no matter what our senses tell us, God will enable us to continue to love and trust Him as we submit to His will in obedience and bring glory to His Name. Amen Roof? What roof?

1 comment:

Susan Elizabeth said...

This was a difficult post for me...I am such a worry-wart. I don't like to let things go. I love to hang on to trouble.
(or is it that the trouble hangs on to me?) Whichever one it is, one thing is clear, I still need growing. (maybe another 40 years worth...)

Thanks for the reminders, Sandra. I forgot that I am an heir!