"Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face." 1 Corinthians 13:12

Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Interruption Glimpse

It's a little late to be writing an in-depth piece like the one I feel rising up inside me. I'm sitting before the Lord in awe and praise for all He's been doing in my life. I know I'm not capable of articulating it all yet because I don't have a clear picture myself, but I have to take a stab at it while it's still fresh.

It's been a bear of a week. In a way that's expected since I'm preparing for a special event this coming weekend. I'm the point person for our Ladies Retreat, the major event in our annual calendar. The Lord has been laying out some really wonderful things. It's clear that He has a lot He wants to bring to us during this gathering. So, it's no surprise that the annoyer is causing trouble. The truth is that many of my attitudes and actions have not been "particularly pretty." (Those in the know will read that "downright sinful".) The amazing part is that God reached down and enveloped me in His tender hands even though I am so ugly. In spite of the corruption in my life, my Father saw the righteousness of His Holy Son and acted gently toward me out of His perfect love.

At last night's Ladies Bible Study we talked about the beauty of our God - how the unity of the Godhead and the diversity of the Trinity are reflected in His body as He builds it in the midst of this fallen world. We were looking at the 1 Corinthians 12 passage about the oneness of the body and the diversity of its parts. It was marvelous to reflect on the perfect example of interdependence that we see in the persons of our Triune God. The discussion was about Biblical friendships, but as we looked into Scripture on that topic we came to a fuller understanding of the awesomeness of our great Creator. Hallelujah!

I now understand that part of my problem this week was that I couldn't see where I was going. For some reason I wasn't able to develop images for the week or the retreat at the end. This is a major handicap for a visual learner like myself. I didn't realize what was going on at the time. I merely felt as if I were inside a paper bag. Of course, my reaction was to try to fight my way out - Silly Girl!

It was as if I were sitting on the deck on an early fall morning when the mist is still on the lake. The air is so full of moisture that I'm not able to see the scenery on the opposite shore. I've come to accept and even enjoy the early morning mists on Loon Pond, but having my vision veiled as it was earlier this week with so much that had to get done brought me to near panic. I ran in circles bringing myself and my dear, patient husband to near collapse. Thankfully God rescued me. He brought me to the end of myself and to the beginning of Himself.

What I needed to do was to wait for His intervention to move me forward. I needed to consider what the Lord had for me in the time of uncertainty. I needed to take my eyes off myself and put them back on Him. When the time was right He gave me the images I needed to step up the pace and finish the retreat preparations. Today was a calm day filled with enjoyable tying up of projects that I wouldn't have thought possible given the timetable.

Thank you, Father! I haven't messed up this badly in a while. Thank you for your forgiveness so rich and free. Please remind me to come to you right away the next time I sense the veil.


Once again the Lord has given me a glimpse into His goal for my life - to glorify Him and enjoy Him forever - and how to reach it. As I rest/remain in His presence as described in John 15, the trials of this life fade away into the background. As I contemplate His true character, the cares of this world are swallowed up in praise. As I seek His face, the desire to walk in obedience becomes overwhelming and the directions are clear.

Acts 17:27,28a explains, "God did this [carried out His sovereign plan] so that men [Sandra] would seek him and perhaps reach out for him and find him, though he is not far from each one of us. For in him we live and move and have our being."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, how lovely are your words from the heart, my dear friend. I am so able to relate...what strikes me sometimes is how I actually thought this would all get better as we go on...but there is no let up.And as i talk to others in the so called 'golden years', they say the same thing. Bless you for your continued faithfulness. "But the Lord stood at my side and gave me strength, so that through me the message might be fully proclaimed..."2Tim4:17

Anonymous said...

Amen--Pray we can both remember that next time the fog starts to settle.