"Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face." 1 Corinthians 13:12

Monday, September 3, 2007

Parable of the Knee, Glimpse #3

Today is a beautiful day. The sun is shining and the temperature is just right. There's only one water skier on the lake so it's a pleasant afternoon. There's even a breeze. Who could ask for anything more?

It wasn't such a pleasant picture last May when I was looking ahead to a busy summer. We'd just gotten back from our conference in Bosnia which I'd thought was our last big responsibility. All of a sudden I started to realize that I had two events in June, a conference in Louisiana in July, and a set of seminars in August - on top of my regular activities. That might not sound like a lot, but I'd been thinking that I was going to have a break over the summer months.

Once the shock settled in, I realized that if I was going to be able to meet the responsibilities laid out for me I was going to have to be healthy. The members of the team we took with us to Sarajevo had practically carried me through that outreach. I needed to be honest with myself and get my knee problem corrected. The inconsistency of my physical performance was taking its toll on my life and the lives of those around me. I had to get the situation resolved.

Making the decision to see a doctor about an ongoing problem may not sound like a big deal to many people. For folks like me, it's a hard thing. Not only did I need to admit I had a problem that I needed help to solve, but I had to make time in my busy schedule for a doctor's appointment. Right there, the Lord spoke to me about my ideas of what's important and how precious this temple is that He's given me to house His Holy Spirit.

As I determined to go forward with addressing my knee problem, it dawned on me that Messiah was speaking to me again about my spiritual life. Yes, as mentioned in Glimpse #2, I need to be solidly centered on, completely consumed by God. Hallelujah! God draws me unto Himself and shows Himself to me for His own glory. What a treasure to learn that our relationship is not all one-sided!

God calls me to communicate with Him - not just my concerns for others, but the highest joys and deepest desires of my heart. My Father wants me to learn from and share myself with Him at every level. I thought about the inconsistent attention I'd been giving my knee and realized that my daily devotional time had been pretty inconsistent as well. This precious time alone with my Lord early in the morning is probably the closest time in our relationship. I'd allowed my hectic spring schedule to interfere and it looked like my no-to-quiet summer was threatening to do the same. I determined right then and there that I'd get back into my devotional routine.

My thoughts ran on ahead. 'Well, those times might be inconsistent, but at least I spend regular time studying in the Word.' Whoops, that was true in the spring, but our Bible study usually doesn't meet over the summer. Here was another area of inconsistency that was facing me. :-(
Maybe I'm not doing as well as I think sometimes.

One area I know I am consistent with is gathering together with other believers for worship. As a matter of fact, I am part of two groups that pray together before Sunday morning service. Phew, at least I'm not totally inconsistent. :-)

Sometimes I hear Christians talking about "God's part" and "my part" of doing things. I'm not really sure where or how one draws that kind of line. I just know that God loves me with a perfect love, even though He knows everything about me. He loved me from before the foundations of the world and will love me for all eternity. As a matter of fact, God is the very definition of love. 1 John 4:16 My ability to love at all is because He first loved me. 1 John 4:19

The first object of my God-given ability to love is God Himself. I love Him and offer my entire life to Him as a fitting sacrifice. Romans 12:1 His call on my life is to express my love for Him by obeying His commands. John 14:15 Maybe that's "my part." God also asks me to show my love for him by living in love and pouring it out on those around me. 1 John 4

Going through those basic standards for followers of Jesus reminds me how inconsistent I really am in my spiritual life. I had to face it with my knee, that I simply can't keep up with what's before me if I'm not healthy. I want to face it in my spiritual life as well, I simply can't keep up with what's before me if I'm not healthy.

Thank you, Lord, for the opportunity to catch a glimpse of the view from your perspective. My heart is the thing that's most important to you. I need and want to guard it consistently. Thank you, Father, that even this is your work. Zechariah 4:6

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

While you are ignoring your knee, I'm piling things under the carpet and not dealing with them. Isn't it amazing how we tend to simply go on....not even noticing that we are limping, or that the dirt is causing the carpet to wear funny....until we can't ignore them any longer. Praise the Lord for showing us our need for Him---and then filling that NEED!

Thanks for the wonderful reminder that God has done it all--and our part is to remember His unfailing love for us and enjoy Him.

Susan Elizabeth said...

So simple to say, so difficult to practice....or is it? He loves us, and all we need to do is accept that fact...lean on Him and He will hold our weight and the extra weight we carry as well!

~jenna said...

should have read this before last night, when i carried a weight too long through the night and lost sleep. thanks for the reminder:) tonight will be better;)